Air Conditioner - Home Cooling - Eugene, Oregon
A new air conditioner installed and maintained properly will operate more efficiently than your current system.
When you purchase a new central air conditioner today, you can expect to use 30% to 50% less energy compared to air conditioner made in the mid 1970’s. Even if your air conditioner is only 10 years old, you could save 20% to 50% of your cooling costs by replacing it with a newer, more efficient model.
How Do I Choose The Right Air Conditioner?
We’ll help you with that. Choosing an air conditioner for your home is an important decision. A central air conditioner not only provides indoor comfort but can dehumidify, and filter your home’s air, making it cleaner and far more comfortable. A central air conditioner distributes conditioned air through a house. There are a number of considerations we can help you with. Consider the following:
- Do you have hot or cold spots in your home?
- Does anyone in the house have allergies?
- Where do you spend most of the time in your home?
- Would you like to save money on your utility bill?
- How long do you plan on living in your home?
These are just some of the questions a qualified York dealer will help you with. We’ll make sure to size your new central air conditioner properly. Sizing is extremely important. Our knowledgeable and trained cooling contractors will make sure to match an air conditioner to your needs.
Consider that a unit that is too small will lack the ability to give you the comfort you desire. A unit that is too large will end up not only costing more money up front, but more money to operate. An ove-rsized AC will kick out more cooling and will most likely overshoot the thermostat by 2 degrees, making you too cold and costing you more money. Make sure you find the right contractor that will help you make the right choice.
Steps To Choosing The Right System
1. Buy the most efficient system you can
2. Size your system properly
3. Seal your ducts, if you have a ducted system
4. Properly maintain your system
A word about efficiency. In brief, an efficiency rating tells you how much of the total energy used is delivered to the home as heat. The higher the efficiency, the better the air conditioner functions. For example, an air conditioner that is 80% efficient delivers 80% of the fuel consumed by the house as cool air. The rest, 20% or 20 cents on the dollar, goes up the chimney flue. Your cooling bill, therefore, depends on the cost of the fuel and the efficiency of the AC unit.
When referring to air conditioning, we measure performance by SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio). The higher the SEER rating, the greater the efficiency and the greater your savings. A 13 SEER unit is the lowest allowed in the United States. Consider that purchasing a higher SEER rating unit could yield these estimated savings:
- 14 SEER = 7% reduction in energy uses
- 15 SEER = 13% reduction Iin energy use
- 16 SEER = 18% reduction in energy use
- 17 SEER = 23% reduction in energy use
- 18 SEER = 27% reduction in energy use
*Tax incentives may apply. See your York dealer for more information.
Let one of our cooling experts examine your home. We'll help identify the right home cooling system for you. Call today: 541.726.7656.